Wednesday, February 18, 2009

VIENNA!













Vienna! 
This last weekend, we traveled by a night train to Vienna, Austria. Luckily most of my roommates came, so I was in great company too! Our trip was full of Viennese food, visits of Grand Palaces and museums, SNOW, and the ballet! Our guide and valentines day date, Francesco, took us around the city to see many beautiful sights. On saturday February 14th (my favorite day of the trip), we started out at Schonbrunn Palace, went to the Belvedre museum, and ended our day at the ballet, and had a great dinner at Sacher (famous in Vienna for the Sacher cake, a rich dark chocolate dessert). The Belvedre was the most beautiful 
museum I have seen this far. Out of the windows is a view of a lavish garden with a backdrop of all of the city of Vienna. There we had the privilege of seeing "The Kiss" by Gustav Klimpt, and many other beautiful paintings. This is also where I discovered my new favorite artist, Alphonse Mucha! An artist in the 1890's who created color lithographs that were intended as advertisements and then became beautiful works of art. My favorite collection was of his "posters". I really enjoyed these because of the way he portrays women, the beautiful colors, and the vintage feeling they create (www.muchafoundation.org). We then had the afternoon to ourselves to explore the city and get ready for our night out. 

Sorry it's a very brief summary of our fun trip, but below is a taste of what our weekend was like! Paige my roommate is documenting our trips by video.

Ciao!

Emily











No comments:

Post a Comment